70 Years Young
A Tradition to Be Proud of and A Future to Look Forward To
The International School of Belgrade commemorates 70 years of quality international education. Thousands of children have passed through the portals of knowledge at ISB since the school was founded in 1948. The future looks bright, not only for the International School of Belgrade, but also for Serbia.
At the end of World War II a growing number of expatriate families located to Belgrade as part of diplomatic missions and foreign businesses. These families were only in Belgrade for a limited period of time, and therefore having their children go to local schools was a difficult option. There was a need for a school to educate the children of these families, and due to their diversity, the school providing such an education needed to understand and cater to the transient nature of this population.
Founded in 1948 by the wife of the British Ambassador, Lady Peake, the Foreign Colony School was housed in two rented rooms at the American Mission. One staff member taught elementary children using British texts. The wife of the American Ambassador became the first chairperson of the School Board in 1949. From 1950-1957, the School grew to be a K-8 school. In 1952, the name was changed to The International School of Belgrade. ISB was first accredited in 1981 by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and the European Council of International Schools (ECIS). In the spring of 2003, ISB inaugurated the opening of the second campus for grades 6 through 12. In 2011, ISB broke ground for a new Middle School and Gymnasium and in 2012, ISB opened the doors to a newly purpose-built facility, which provided the opportunity to combine the Middle School and High School into a single Upper School division.
Some of the principles that still form the foundations of ISB are using English as the language of instruction, following an internationally recognized and accredited curriculum (IB), and highlighting and celebrating the diversity represented by the students from over 40 nationalities attending our school. ISB has always focused on strong academics, and at the same time embraced teaching methodologies that enable students to gain the skills to be able to apply their knowledge, and to critically analyse issues from various perspectives.
Some of the major achievements of which the school is particularly proud are the fact that ISB remained open throughout the period of the ex-Yugoslavia wars in the 1990s, when most expats left the region. Additionally, gaining authorization to implement the three programs of the International Baccalaureate (IB) was a natural and important outgrowth of the ISB commitment to educate globally-minded citizens who contribute positively to society. ISB became authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization to offer the Diploma Program, the Middle Years Program, and the Primary Years Program during the 2005-2007 years, and in May 2010, ISB was one of 583 International Baccalaureate World Schools to offer all three IB programs.
In February 2011, ISB broke ground for a new Middle School and Gymnasium and in January 2012, ISB opened the doors to a newly purpose-built facility, which provided the opportunity to combine the Middle School and High School into a single Upper School division.
During the 2015-2016 school year ISB again engaged in a thorough self-study of all programs and gained continuing accreditation and authorization from CIS/NEASC/IBO following a successful site visit in April 2016. Findings from the self-study and recommendations from the accrediting/authorizing agencies will be incorporated in the new 2016-2021 Strategic Plan.
On May 19, 2018, The International School of Belgrade (ISB) and Avala Studios signed a Declaration of Intent, regarding the construction of a new campus and facilities for ISB, with the move to these brand-new premises, located in Košutnjak, expected in the next 3-5 years.