IB Middle Years Programme
MYP English Language and Literature
| IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) | IB Learner Profile | MYP Science | MYP Mathematics | MYP Physical and Health Education | MYP Design | MYP English Language and Literature | MYP Individuals and Societies | MYP English as an additional language (EAL) | MYP Serbian Language and literature | MYP Arts | MYP Language Acquisition | Elective & Enrichment | Approaches to Teaching and Learning |
Submit Your Online Inquiry
Language is fundamental to learning, thinking and communicating; therefore it permeates the whole curriculum. Indeed, all teachers are language teachers, continually expanding the boundaries of what students are thinking about. Mastery of one or more languages enables each student to achieve their full linguistic potential.
Students need to develop an appreciation of the nature of language and literature, of the many influences on language and literature, and of its power and beauty. They will be encouraged to recognize that proficiency in language is a powerful tool for communication in all societies. Furthermore, language and literature incorporates creative processes and encourages the development of imagination and creativity through self-expression.
MYP Language and literature guide (p 4)
Aims: As stated in the MYP Language and literature guide, the aims of MYP language and literature are to encourage and enable students to:
- use language as a vehicle for thought, creativity, reflection, learning, self-expression & analysis
- develop the skills involved in listening, speaking, reading, writing, viewing and presenting in a variety of contexts
- develop critical, creative and personal approaches to studying and analyzing various texts
- engage with text from different historical periods and a variety of cultures
- explore and analyze aspects of personal, host and other cultures through texts
- explore language through a variety of media and modes
- develop a lifelong interest in reading
- apply linguistic and literary concepts and skills in a variety of authentic contexts
Click on the links for general course outline information. Specific details regarding curriculum and assessment can be accessed by ISB Community Parent/Student Portal.