MYP English Language and Literature - Grade 6
Welcome to a new school year! We anticipate a challenging year of investigating, examining, exploring, sharing, and learning. Together, we will work towards achieving everyone’s personal best.
A key element of the English language and literature program is the appreciation of how language is fundamental to learning, thinking and communicating, and as such it permeates the whole curriculum. Reading, analytical and writing skills will be developed through a close study of literary and media texts and your own wide reading.
Units and topics:
Unit 1 – Pandora’s Box (Myths and Legends)
Unit 2 – The Language Adventure
Unit 3 – Old Traditions, New Frontiers
Unit 4 – Poetry; Literature Circles
On-Going Outside Reading
Each quarter the students are required to read at least one novel. During the course of their reading, they will be completing a reading log in order to track their progress. Near the end of each quarter, students will be required to present their novels in a creative way.
- Q1 - Free choice
- Q2 - Award-winning
- Q3 - Adventure
- Q4 - Free choice
Aims: As stated in the MYP Language and Literature guide, the aims of MYP Language and Literature are to encourage and enable students to
Feedback on and final levels of achievement for assessments are based on four equally weighted assessment criteria
|Assessment Criteria||At the end of grade 6, students should be able to:|
Please bring the following materials to every class:
- Charged laptop
- A4 Notebook with lined pages. This notebook must be used just for English class.
- Folder - system for filing handouts
- Sharpened pencil(s), pen, glue stick or tape, scissors
- A set of colored pencils and highlighters
How to be successful:
- Abide by the school rules (as outlined in the Student Handbook)
- Respect your classmates’ rights to learn
- Be considerate of others and the environment in everything you do
- Keep the classroom clean and tidy
- Be on time, turn your assignments in on time, and make up work that you have missed
- Bring your academic supplies daily: folder, notebook, pen/pencil, agenda, etc.
- Be an active learner – participate in class and in collaborative learning activities
Academic honesty is expected of all students