Bring Your Own Laptop (BYOL) specifications
- The Student BYOL device needs to be a laptop computer with a desktop version of the operating system
- The operating system can be either a Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X version.
- The laptop needs to have a battery capacity for minimum 4-6 hours of work
- The laptop needs to have a dual band Wi-Fi network card, 2.4 & 5 GHz (802.11AGN, preferable 802.11AC)
- The BYOL laptop needs to be fully functional (keyboard, screen, Wi-Fi, etc.)
Hardware minimum specifications
- CPU dual-core (preferable quad-core)
- RAM 2 GB (preferable 4 GB)
- preferable SSD drive
- preferable built-in microphone/web camera
Not allowed BYOL devices
- Smartphones, Tablets/iPads, Google Chromebooks, Amazon Kindles
- The BYOL laptop will need to have mostly open-source and free apps
The school will provide the following licensed application/services
- Google Apps for Education account (incl. Cloud Printing)
- Adobe CS Suite applications (if needed)
- Antivirus software (if needed)
Laptop Loaners & tech support
- ISB will provide a loaner laptop to students who have issues (repairs, malfunctions) with their BYOL laptops, for a period maximum up to 5 school days.
- ISB IT department will provide only basic tech support and troubleshooting for Student owned laptops.
BYOL general use policy
- Devices are brought to school at the students’ and parents’ own risk. In the event that a privately owned device is lost, stolen or damaged, ISB is not responsible for any financial or data loss.
- Students should not access the Internet at ISB using any external Internet service including mobile network services (GPRS, 3G & 4G)
- No BYOL laptop may be connected to the ISB network by a network cable plugged into a data outlet. Network access is provided via ISB’s Wi-Fi access only.
- Students are not permitted and should not have the expectation that they will be able to charge devices at school.
- No student shall use any computer or device to illegally collect any electronic data or disrupt networking services